Tag Archives: monuments

The Iosefin district

10 Sep

Today we will discover architectural jewels in the Iosefin district. Dramatic development of this historic area was in the second half of the nineteenth century, because here and in nearby Elisabeth district were the city’s railway station and port. You can start a walk at the Bridge Trajan. Beyond the bridge you will notice the image of city with old buildings, which seem to go on forever.

The Timiş-Bega Hydro-Improvement Society Palace.
The building has 1900s architecture style, is decorated (among others) with representations of fish.

The Marschall Place was designed by architekt Martin Gemeinhardt. The building belongs to the 1900s style, the Art Nouveau eclectic movement. The unique façade represents elements: the “the tree of life”, stylized butterflies, typical Gothic flower elements.

St. Maria Monument – a local legend says, that monuments commemorates the place of execution the head of the peasant uprising of 1514, Gheorghe Doja. To the monks who sang religious hymns near the dying man appeared Virgin Mary’s face.
The monument was created by sculptor György Kiss and architect László Syékely. It was built in the 1900s style with Neo-Romanic and Gothic elements.

The Reformed Community’s Palace (1901-1902) The building houses the parish house and the church. The building’s appearance corresponds to the 1900s architecture with elements inspired by the Neo-Gothic movement. The building was dominated by the sharp forms of the roof elements, in the corners.

The Romanian Orthodox Church. It was designed by architect Professor Victor Vlad and built between 1931 and 1936. It is part of the string of churches built after 1918, which marked the rupture with Baroque architecture practiced by the Orthodox during the Habsburg monarchy, seeking inspiration in Byzantine forms. The appearance of building was inspired by architecture of the Cathedral of St. Sophia in Constantinople.

The Iosefin Synagogue was built in 1895. It is the only one functional synagogue in Timişoara. Building’s form has the eclectic character and it has also Neo-Gothic and Moorish elements.

Albert Schott Palace was built between 1911 and 1913. It was the first building with three levels in Iosefin, until Hochstrasser Palace. The building stands on luliu Maniu Street.

Alexandru Pisică Palace The architectural pearl stands out by the attic with wavy froms, which was made in the manner of Budapest architect Ödön Lechner. The building built between 1911 and 1912. It is situated on Preyer Street (with a front on Iuliu Maniu Street too).

Place on the Regele Carol I Boulevard. The building expresses by decorative elements in the Secession style.

By Klaudia Skibińska

Advertisements

Unirii Square – trip

6 Sep

In this part of the architectural tour we will visit around the Unirii Square.
Dome Square was a real vision of Viennese court.


The Serbian Cathedral build between 1744 and 1748. The exterior bears the imprint of the Baroque and Neoclassicism. The main façade is predominantly Classicist with some Baroque elements. Typical of this style is the façade rhythm done with Doric pilasters on the ground floor, Ionic on the first floor and Corinthian on the second floor.




The Serbian Vicariate, with highly elaborated ornaments, made in the Art Nouveau style, but interpreted in a special manner. Currently, it is renewed. It has a rich collection of bibliophily and art (18th to 19th century Orthodox religious art collection).

The Former Discount Bank has ceramic ornaments made of colored glazed that indicate the Hungarian Secession – Szeceszio. This “Timişoara’s jewel of elegance” reminiscent little of the Catalan architect Antoni Gaudi’s style.


The Holy Trinity monument is related to grim plauge, that haunted Timisoara during 1738 to 1739.

House with lions


“Little” Lenau High School – In 1995 and 1996, the today façades are made in a simplified historicist style by architect Lucia Pfaff. Nikolaus Lenau was a great German poet born in Ciatad, today Lenauheim village, in Banat.


The Canons’ Houses – that Is the series of four classicist houses.


The Dome (the Episcopate Roman Cathedral of Banat Diocese). Work began under Carol VI in 1736, ending in 1774. It is construction involved famous architects from Vienna, like Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach. The main altar’s painting, signed by Michael Angelo Unterberger.


The Baroque Palace built in 1752.It was the most luxurious building in the city. Austrian Baroque, with some Rococo details.
Today it houses Art Museum, its worth to visiting also to see well restored interiors with stylish stairs.

Dicasterial Palace was made in the style of the Palazzo Strozzi in Florence. People from Timişoara used to say about this building that it “has one window for each day of the year”. In reality, the Dicasterial Palace has over 400 windows.


The Evangelical or Lutheran Church built between 1837 adn 1839. The Lutheran community is made of Germans, Hungarians, Slovaks and Romanians, and the religious service is held in all these language.


Theresia Bastion is one of the nine bastions of the city. Then in contemporary interior of bastion is gallery and restaurant.


See you on the next architecture trip!

By Anna Śmierzchalska

A Walk In the City Centre – Tour 1

25 Aug

The settlement was formed soon after 1000 AD by the Hungarian king. The fortress was conquered in 1552 by the Turks and in 1716 a major change was brought  by Austrian Prince Eugene of Savoy. The city developed rapidly in the hands of the Habsburgs and than during the economic boom as well. The first electrical street light was introduced here, in Timisoara. 

In the 18th century, to keep the Turks away a large fortress  with nine bastions and three fortification walls was built. 1,5 km away from the fortress three neighbourhoods were pushed: Fabric, Iosefin, Elisabetin.

Libertatii Square was the second fortress of Timisoara. The new city with new fortifications  in 1732 and 1761 needed a modern fortress, much larger than the old one.

The Timisoara Garrison Command (“New Generalate” – 1727).

 

Mary-Nepomuk monument was started by the famous Raphel Donner, but the work was finished by Wasserburger and Blimm. It is made in the typical style of Viennes Baroque.

The Military Casino is an elegant building, common for the late Baroque and rococo styles.

The Old City Hall, built as the “German community hall” in 1731, was rebuilt several times until it received its nowadays eclectic appearance, in 1853. The large room upstairs was a famous ballroom in the city, in the 18th century.

 

Public Hospital probably was the first public hospital in the Habsburg Empire (older than the Allgemaines Krankenhaus in Vienna).

The church of Misericordian monks, built between 1748 and 1753, today  is a Greek-Catholic church.

The Cetate Synagogue, built between 1863 and 1865in the so-called “Moorish architecture” style which prevailed in the building of Mosaic temples in the Empire.

Nicolas Lenau High School with instruction in German. In this building there was the first theater.

Information about the second part of the tour of the city centre is coming soon!

By Anna Smierzchalska

Fabric district – trip

15 Aug

Fabric district’s past was directly influenced by the Bege RIver. Until 1907, through Fabric was flowing not one Bega – but several. Several old, natural river branches were left here intentionally not canalized, and also a few additional canals was to set going the small industry that began to emerge here in the eighteenth century, especially the dozens of mills. In 1907-19010, the channels were leveled, some becoming streets – on the neighborhood map one can see that the Fabric has a far more disordered street structure than the other neighborhoods; therefore the  explanation lies in the former branches of the river Bega.

We start at Decebal Brige – (1909-1910, Engineer Mihailich Gyözö, architect Krössy Albert K.) originally called the “park street brige”. Being built in the authentic Secession style, this is the most elegant and well preserved bridge in Timisoara. Because of its reinforced concrete building, with one opening, it was considered an innovative technical achievment at European level.

Close by there are the Neptun Baths (initially Hungaria Baths, 1912-1914), a beautiful head of perspective for those coming from the bridge. the building was built by the famous architect Szekely.

On this right is the oldest park in the city – the People’s Park and Regina Maria Park. The entrance is under a gate built in the same style as the bridge, even the park’s fence matching this  Secession ensemble. In the park is also the former Apollo Cinema, which was recently modified, preserving however the facade from the middle of the 20th century.

Near the Neptun Baths there is  Szekely Palace, built by the architect for his mother – surprisingly he left out here many of his favorite forms, so that the building falls well into the “Viennese Secession” – much more reserved in decorations and more geometric.

At no. 2 there is Karl Kunz Palace (1902-1903). Although the  lion and the female sculptures that used to ornate the the house’s corner have disappeared, it still preserves some some beautiful women heads.

At Haymann Palace we can see the female figures and the golden lyres on the 2nd floor.

In contrast, at Anheuer Palace the style is rather “outdated” having Neo-Baroque elements.

The most ornate is however Miksa Steiner Palace, on the upper floors you can even you can see a boat’s bow  and stern.

At no. 11A we find the Archduke’s House, which was the first house having two floors to be built in Fabric.

At the end of the park, in a small square in the right, the Synagogue in Fabric is seen. It was built beteween 1897 and 1899 ( architect Lipot Baumhorn, builder Josef Kermer ) in Secession stylewith Moorish, neo-Gothic and neo-Roman elements.


On the right we soon eneter the Romanilor Square with Millennium Church. The monumental Church was built to celebrate 1000 years of Hungarian settlement in the Pannonia Plain, between 1896 and 1901 by architect Ludwig von Ybl. The style is eclectic-historicist, with neo-Gothic and neo-Roman elements. The towes on the facade measure 65 meters. The stained glass windows are special, the altar paintingis signed by Vastagh György and organ is created by the famous Timisoara workshop Wegenstein.

Close by, there is Stefania Palace, recognizable because of corner tower, on which there is a halberdier in armor. The building is very elegant, on the facade facing the boulevard one seeing representations of bears and gorillas, reasonnfor which it was know as “house with monkey”. It was built by the City Hall between 1909 and 1910 ( architekt Szekely L.) as a tenement house.

Next placeis Fabric’s district current center: Train Square, which was designed and approved as the “main square in Fabric” by imperial military engineers around 1740.  Although it was far from its today appearance: apart from the church “in the square” there were only houses similar to those from the countryside, with narrow frontons and gardens between them. It is also  a very picturesque ensemble. Over time it was very economical area, dominated by craft guilds. Although in the Fabric district it was initially sought to seperate in space on religious and ethic criteria, in the nineteenth century here lived Romanans, Germans, Serbians, Hebrews and Hungarians alike.

The square’s most important element is the Serbian Church dedicated to St. George. Built between 1745 and 1755 as a modest Baroque church, in 1890 the tower had to be raised in order to keep pace with other buildings in the Square.

Linked to the church is the obelisk, which was focus of the feast of Epiphany. The tallest building on the left front of the front of the market is Mercur Palace (1908-1909) or “House with Mercur“because of the Roman commerce god representation on the corner of the building.

From Traian Square we go right on Stefan cel Mare St. On both sides there larger or smaller buildings in the 1900s architecture style. A modern appearance is the new headquarters of Electrica Banat S.A. at the intersection with Pestalozzi St. Across the street there is the building complex of the brewery.

By Anna Śmierzchalska and  Klaudia Skibińska

%d bloggers like this: