Tag Archives: Libertatii Square

A Walk In the City Centre – Tour 1

25 Aug

The settlement was formed soon after 1000 AD by the Hungarian king. The fortress was conquered in 1552 by the Turks and in 1716 a major change was brought  by Austrian Prince Eugene of Savoy. The city developed rapidly in the hands of the Habsburgs and than during the economic boom as well. The first electrical street light was introduced here, in Timisoara. 

In the 18th century, to keep the Turks away a large fortress  with nine bastions and three fortification walls was built. 1,5 km away from the fortress three neighbourhoods were pushed: Fabric, Iosefin, Elisabetin.

Libertatii Square was the second fortress of Timisoara. The new city with new fortifications  in 1732 and 1761 needed a modern fortress, much larger than the old one.

The Timisoara Garrison Command (“New Generalate” – 1727).

 

Mary-Nepomuk monument was started by the famous Raphel Donner, but the work was finished by Wasserburger and Blimm. It is made in the typical style of Viennes Baroque.

The Military Casino is an elegant building, common for the late Baroque and rococo styles.

The Old City Hall, built as the “German community hall” in 1731, was rebuilt several times until it received its nowadays eclectic appearance, in 1853. The large room upstairs was a famous ballroom in the city, in the 18th century.

 

Public Hospital probably was the first public hospital in the Habsburg Empire (older than the Allgemaines Krankenhaus in Vienna).

The church of Misericordian monks, built between 1748 and 1753, today  is a Greek-Catholic church.

The Cetate Synagogue, built between 1863 and 1865in the so-called “Moorish architecture” style which prevailed in the building of Mosaic temples in the Empire.

Nicolas Lenau High School with instruction in German. In this building there was the first theater.

Information about the second part of the tour of the city centre is coming soon!

By Anna Smierzchalska

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: