Tag Archives: Fabric

Fabric district – trip

15 Aug

Fabric district’s past was directly influenced by the Bege RIver. Until 1907, through Fabric was flowing not one Bega – but several. Several old, natural river branches were left here intentionally not canalized, and also a few additional canals was to set going the small industry that began to emerge here in the eighteenth century, especially the dozens of mills. In 1907-19010, the channels were leveled, some becoming streets – on the neighborhood map one can see that the Fabric has a far more disordered street structure than the other neighborhoods; therefore the  explanation lies in the former branches of the river Bega.

We start at Decebal Brige – (1909-1910, Engineer Mihailich Gyözö, architect Krössy Albert K.) originally called the “park street brige”. Being built in the authentic Secession style, this is the most elegant and well preserved bridge in Timisoara. Because of its reinforced concrete building, with one opening, it was considered an innovative technical achievment at European level.

Close by there are the Neptun Baths (initially Hungaria Baths, 1912-1914), a beautiful head of perspective for those coming from the bridge. the building was built by the famous architect Szekely.

On this right is the oldest park in the city – the People’s Park and Regina Maria Park. The entrance is under a gate built in the same style as the bridge, even the park’s fence matching this  Secession ensemble. In the park is also the former Apollo Cinema, which was recently modified, preserving however the facade from the middle of the 20th century.

Near the Neptun Baths there is  Szekely Palace, built by the architect for his mother – surprisingly he left out here many of his favorite forms, so that the building falls well into the “Viennese Secession” – much more reserved in decorations and more geometric.

At no. 2 there is Karl Kunz Palace (1902-1903). Although the  lion and the female sculptures that used to ornate the the house’s corner have disappeared, it still preserves some some beautiful women heads.

At Haymann Palace we can see the female figures and the golden lyres on the 2nd floor.

In contrast, at Anheuer Palace the style is rather “outdated” having Neo-Baroque elements.

The most ornate is however Miksa Steiner Palace, on the upper floors you can even you can see a boat’s bow  and stern.

At no. 11A we find the Archduke’s House, which was the first house having two floors to be built in Fabric.

At the end of the park, in a small square in the right, the Synagogue in Fabric is seen. It was built beteween 1897 and 1899 ( architect Lipot Baumhorn, builder Josef Kermer ) in Secession stylewith Moorish, neo-Gothic and neo-Roman elements.


On the right we soon eneter the Romanilor Square with Millennium Church. The monumental Church was built to celebrate 1000 years of Hungarian settlement in the Pannonia Plain, between 1896 and 1901 by architect Ludwig von Ybl. The style is eclectic-historicist, with neo-Gothic and neo-Roman elements. The towes on the facade measure 65 meters. The stained glass windows are special, the altar paintingis signed by Vastagh György and organ is created by the famous Timisoara workshop Wegenstein.

Close by, there is Stefania Palace, recognizable because of corner tower, on which there is a halberdier in armor. The building is very elegant, on the facade facing the boulevard one seeing representations of bears and gorillas, reasonnfor which it was know as “house with monkey”. It was built by the City Hall between 1909 and 1910 ( architekt Szekely L.) as a tenement house.

Next placeis Fabric’s district current center: Train Square, which was designed and approved as the “main square in Fabric” by imperial military engineers around 1740.  Although it was far from its today appearance: apart from the church “in the square” there were only houses similar to those from the countryside, with narrow frontons and gardens between them. It is also  a very picturesque ensemble. Over time it was very economical area, dominated by craft guilds. Although in the Fabric district it was initially sought to seperate in space on religious and ethic criteria, in the nineteenth century here lived Romanans, Germans, Serbians, Hebrews and Hungarians alike.

The square’s most important element is the Serbian Church dedicated to St. George. Built between 1745 and 1755 as a modest Baroque church, in 1890 the tower had to be raised in order to keep pace with other buildings in the Square.

Linked to the church is the obelisk, which was focus of the feast of Epiphany. The tallest building on the left front of the front of the market is Mercur Palace (1908-1909) or “House with Mercur“because of the Roman commerce god representation on the corner of the building.

From Traian Square we go right on Stefan cel Mare St. On both sides there larger or smaller buildings in the 1900s architecture style. A modern appearance is the new headquarters of Electrica Banat S.A. at the intersection with Pestalozzi St. Across the street there is the building complex of the brewery.

By Anna Śmierzchalska and  Klaudia Skibińska

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: