Tag Archives: architecture

The Iosefin district

10 Sep

Today we will discover architectural jewels in the Iosefin district. Dramatic development of this historic area was in the second half of the nineteenth century, because here and in nearby Elisabeth district were the city’s railway station and port. You can start a walk at the Bridge Trajan. Beyond the bridge you will notice the image of city with old buildings, which seem to go on forever.

The Timiş-Bega Hydro-Improvement Society Palace.
The building has 1900s architecture style, is decorated (among others) with representations of fish.

The Marschall Place was designed by architekt Martin Gemeinhardt. The building belongs to the 1900s style, the Art Nouveau eclectic movement. The unique façade represents elements: the “the tree of life”, stylized butterflies, typical Gothic flower elements.

St. Maria Monument – a local legend says, that monuments commemorates the place of execution the head of the peasant uprising of 1514, Gheorghe Doja. To the monks who sang religious hymns near the dying man appeared Virgin Mary’s face.
The monument was created by sculptor György Kiss and architect László Syékely. It was built in the 1900s style with Neo-Romanic and Gothic elements.

The Reformed Community’s Palace (1901-1902) The building houses the parish house and the church. The building’s appearance corresponds to the 1900s architecture with elements inspired by the Neo-Gothic movement. The building was dominated by the sharp forms of the roof elements, in the corners.

The Romanian Orthodox Church. It was designed by architect Professor Victor Vlad and built between 1931 and 1936. It is part of the string of churches built after 1918, which marked the rupture with Baroque architecture practiced by the Orthodox during the Habsburg monarchy, seeking inspiration in Byzantine forms. The appearance of building was inspired by architecture of the Cathedral of St. Sophia in Constantinople.

The Iosefin Synagogue was built in 1895. It is the only one functional synagogue in Timişoara. Building’s form has the eclectic character and it has also Neo-Gothic and Moorish elements.

Albert Schott Palace was built between 1911 and 1913. It was the first building with three levels in Iosefin, until Hochstrasser Palace. The building stands on luliu Maniu Street.

Alexandru Pisică Palace The architectural pearl stands out by the attic with wavy froms, which was made in the manner of Budapest architect Ödön Lechner. The building built between 1911 and 1912. It is situated on Preyer Street (with a front on Iuliu Maniu Street too).

Place on the Regele Carol I Boulevard. The building expresses by decorative elements in the Secession style.

By Klaudia Skibińska

Advertisements

Unirii Square – trip

6 Sep

In this part of the architectural tour we will visit around the Unirii Square.
Dome Square was a real vision of Viennese court.


The Serbian Cathedral build between 1744 and 1748. The exterior bears the imprint of the Baroque and Neoclassicism. The main façade is predominantly Classicist with some Baroque elements. Typical of this style is the façade rhythm done with Doric pilasters on the ground floor, Ionic on the first floor and Corinthian on the second floor.




The Serbian Vicariate, with highly elaborated ornaments, made in the Art Nouveau style, but interpreted in a special manner. Currently, it is renewed. It has a rich collection of bibliophily and art (18th to 19th century Orthodox religious art collection).

The Former Discount Bank has ceramic ornaments made of colored glazed that indicate the Hungarian Secession – Szeceszio. This “Timişoara’s jewel of elegance” reminiscent little of the Catalan architect Antoni Gaudi’s style.


The Holy Trinity monument is related to grim plauge, that haunted Timisoara during 1738 to 1739.

House with lions


“Little” Lenau High School – In 1995 and 1996, the today façades are made in a simplified historicist style by architect Lucia Pfaff. Nikolaus Lenau was a great German poet born in Ciatad, today Lenauheim village, in Banat.


The Canons’ Houses – that Is the series of four classicist houses.


The Dome (the Episcopate Roman Cathedral of Banat Diocese). Work began under Carol VI in 1736, ending in 1774. It is construction involved famous architects from Vienna, like Joseph Emanuel Fischer von Erlach. The main altar’s painting, signed by Michael Angelo Unterberger.


The Baroque Palace built in 1752.It was the most luxurious building in the city. Austrian Baroque, with some Rococo details.
Today it houses Art Museum, its worth to visiting also to see well restored interiors with stylish stairs.

Dicasterial Palace was made in the style of the Palazzo Strozzi in Florence. People from Timişoara used to say about this building that it “has one window for each day of the year”. In reality, the Dicasterial Palace has over 400 windows.


The Evangelical or Lutheran Church built between 1837 adn 1839. The Lutheran community is made of Germans, Hungarians, Slovaks and Romanians, and the religious service is held in all these language.


Theresia Bastion is one of the nine bastions of the city. Then in contemporary interior of bastion is gallery and restaurant.


See you on the next architecture trip!

By Anna Śmierzchalska

%d bloggers like this: